Wednesday, January 16, 2013

My Friend


I used to hear people share that Jesus was their best friend and wondered what on earth that would look like in my life. I knew in my head about Jesus in the Bible, although I didn't know Him as my Friend in my day-to-day life.

I have come to realize that in my life my friendship with Christ means two things:

1). I am FINALLY FULLY content with JUST Jesus' friendship. Yes...nothing and no one else competes in my life with His joy, presence, and affirmation. I, of course, ADORE my friends. Jesus has become a real Person to me like never before though, who "gets me" completely. He made me. He knows my thoughts. I never feel defensive or insecure with Jesus, like I have to explain my inner thoughts, motivations, or challenges. I feel totally myself with Jesus. When I struggle with leaning on others or things in ways only God could fulfill, I am always reminded by God that there is no comparison with how Jesus makes me feel. I actually LOVE quiet moments of just hanging out with Jesus now, whether on a jog, reading, or chatting with Him throughout the day - amidst the busy life of being at home with a toddler and teaching a preschooler. I don't feel like I just fit Jesus into my day anymore. I feel like He is with me all day, just hanging out with me...like a friend! I feel like Jesus makes my day better!

2). Having a friendship with Jesus means I am His friend, as much as He is mine. I seemed to have missed the importance of reciprocal friendship with Jesus. My life as a child was being told that I was a "social butterfly," and that I liked to talk and socialize...not always at the appropriate times. (Got to love those parent-teacher conferences!). I realize the purpose in God gifting me with the love for communicating with others needed to be refined (and still is being refined) for the purpose of serving others and encouraging them...and to be available to others more than for my own edification. With Jesus, I realize that I need listen to Him more (and talk less at times) and treat Him like an actual person, as I look listen to Him tell me ways to serve Him and encourage His body of believers...and actually anyone needing some encouragement.

I guess what I am learning and loving in a nutshell is that the moments and seasons I experience now when it's just Jesus and me hanging out as friends mirrors what it will be like someday in Heaven when I can walk and talk with Jesus in-person. My friendship with Jesus will never end. I am just starting it. I am so grateful that when I see Jesus in Heaven, it won't be like meeting someone new.

No comments: