Today while at the grocery, I realized something...I'm the mom who carries on conversations with her predominantly non-verbal toddler and sings/hums to music! Brody and I made our first shopping trip alone to COSTCO, which for some reason I feared being hard...It was not at all! Praise God! Brody had a blast sitting in the grocery cart. We were given an AWESOME grocery cart/high chair cover by our kind neighbor, which has handy pockets for all sorts of things. So...off we went for an hour of sampling food/drinks, enjoying price-comparing, and buying delicious foods. It was not until we got to Albertsons that the singing/humming came out though, but the talking to Brody was surely observed at both stores.
I thought I would write a funny little poem about my realization today:
"That Mom at the Grocery"
While walking the aisles in the grocery today,
I spoke with my toddler, having much to say.
"We must buy this, and we must buy that,"
I stated aloud, as my two-year-old sat.
Expressions on his face clearly did show,
he wondered why Mommy kept talking on so.
And then came the music from a far off place,
calm in its nature, and quite gentle in pace.
I began to then reach for items in a way now new,
resulting in me humming, then singing. It's true!
The rest of our time there simply flew by,
despite a few looks that did catch my eye.
So, I would like to admit that I just might be,
"That Mom at the Grocery" everyone does see.
Monday, July 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You crack me up! I do it all the time too but now at least Charlie answers back. Onetime when I was talking to Jimmy and asked him a question, Charlie said to me "Mommy, Jimmy don't talk." I almost died laughing!!! I think it's totally a mom thing though!!
Post a Comment