Mike is working a little late tonight, and Brody is in bed. HOORAY! The house is quiet, and I have some time to myself to reflect on the last few weeks.
As of June, I no longer am writing curriculum due to the realignment of the budgets for the schools that contracted me for work. As much as I absolutely LOVED writing curriculum these past three years, I do believe that when God closes one door, He opens another door..which is even better than we could hope for! God directs our steps when we chose to follow Him. I know with all my heart that God has something incredible awaiting me...that I would miss out on if I remained fixed on losing my job...My eyes are wide open for what is coming next.
Amazingly, over the past few weeks, I have been praying for an opportunity to share God's Word in written form, not realizing such a desire in my heart might actually align with a job. Last week, I came across a job opportunity that at this very moment makes my heart leap with joy! The position is to write a column for a website, allowing me to write from home about a topic I love and to write as often as I chose. I am guaranteed after submitting my proposed column, that an actual person will call me by Wednesday. Below is the title of the proposed column, along with some additional information I submitted. I have NO IDEA what is to come from this. God may have inspired such an endeavor for this website or elsewhere. I do, however, believe God encouraged me to submit the proposed column for a reason. Please pray that God would reveal His plan for having submitted this and that it would be used for His good!
I would love to use the following title for the column and focus on the Bible verse for the heart of my writing.
A Social Butterfly and her Busy Bee:
A New Mom’s Journey from "Flutter" to "Flight" under the Protection of the Lord’s Wings
Psalm 91:4
"He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart."
I became a Christian as a child when I prayed with my mother for Jesus Christ to be the Lord of my life. As I grew older, I began to develop a deeper faith in Christ through spending quality time with God in prayer and reading His Word. God amazingly pursued a personal relationship with me, drawing my heart to His in ways undeserved and awe-inspiring. While I am guaranteed eternal salvation through Christ, I am also provided an abundant life here and now. Every aspect of my life matters to God. His blessings and hand can be seen in the largest and smallest facets, resulting in my praise for Him and my love for others.
Upon welcoming our first son into our family in September 2007, God has shown my husband and I the limitless blessings that come as a result of raising a child in obedience to God’s Word. I truly believe that Scripture is my most valuable resource for me as a mother, enabling me to walk more closely with Christ and more confidently as a wife and mother. Ask any new mother how often she is given advice on rearing a child, and you will find the same reply. Everyone, including family, friends, neighbors, and even hairdressers, have an opinion. It can be exhausting and quite confusing. I have come to the conclusion that God’s Living Word provides perfect counsel for mothers, as we submit to God’s will in our own lives and seek the wisdom He speaks in Scripture. While the guidance and recommendations of those around us may be helpful, well intended, and even true, I believe that we must always compare it to God’s Word, as the ultimate authority.
I am learning as I go in motherhood. I would love to take the time to share with other mothers the challenging, comical, and rewarding moments I am experiencing in life as a new mother. Taking the time to reflect on God’s Word in relation to the happenings of life can bring about encouragement for other mothers. I want other mothers to hear that no mother is perfect, an expectation many of us feel pressed to meet at times, and that God meets us where we are in life. There are days we laugh, and days we cry, days when we just need to rest. So often, we “social butterflies” of the home “flutter” here and there and everywhere with our “busy bees.” “Fluttering” is actually defined as “flapping the wings rapidly, as in short flight or without flying at all.” Sometimes an entire day can pass, and we feel we are missing something, which I believe is invaluable time with God and reflection on His Word. Consequently, we miss the moments to “fly” with ease under the Lord’s wings and see His hand in every detail of our day. God’s Word explains that His wings provide us with the shelter we long for and the refuge we need in our lives (“I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings. Selah” Psalm 61:4; “He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.” Psalm 91:4). I want to share how God is teaching me how to “fly” and not just “flutter,” inspiring other mothers to rest in His wings. Each article will be Bible-based using one Scriptural reference related to a genuine experience I have had recently as a mother and concluding with a four-line, original poem of inspiration.
There are three reasons I would be the very best candidate for this role. One, my topics are limitless, as are the experiences of life as a mother and the applications of God’s Word. Readers will never become bored with my writing for this reason. After all, learning to “fly” is a process and takes practice. While the “fluttering” may diminish, my life will surely always need more “flight time,” allowing me much to reflect on and write. Additionally, my writing will encourage readers to anticipate the newest happenings in my household, as they relate them with their own lives. Some readers, more experienced in motherhood, will look forward to the next stages of our son and any additions to our family down the road, while they reflect on their own experiences and forecast what I share. Lastly, I am a real person. I am openly honest about what God is doing in my life. There may be times my articles are hilarious in nature upon reflecting on the comical moments of raising a child, while other articles may be more heart-felt, touching on topics much more in-depth and life-impacting. I believe readers enjoy reading about a variety of issues in the articles, knowing that life is a combination of the ups and downs. In the end though, I want all readers to feel uplifted and encouraged ultimately not by me, but by the Word of God and how it is transforming and strengthening my life.
Friday, July 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I had no idea this was on the horizon...I'm an extremely horrible friend! Thankfully I had a few extra minutes at the airport this morning to catch up on your blog. What an amazing opportunity and an even more spectacular proposal. I'll be praying that this works out, as you can tell from just reading this post that you have a real gift and passion. Keep me posted on what turns up today!
Post a Comment