Sunday, August 10, 2008

Beggers Can't Be Choosers (Neither Can I)

I find it intriguing how God can reveal truth in your own life through an everyday encounter with someone you do not even know. With this in mind, I just have to share something God taught me recently. A few weeks ago, Mike and I went to McDonald's. Outside was a homeless man sitting in the shade. While waiting for our food, Mike went outside to ask the man if he would like a burger. The man said, "I will have a #2." Mike said he would buy him a burger, but not a #2. The man then said, "No thanks." After our meal, we walked to Albertson's, and Mike bought the man a gallon of cold bottled water. While Brody and I got in the car, Mike brought the water to the man, who was still sitting outside (It must have been well over 100 degrees.). Amazingly enough, when Mike returned to the car, he still had the water in hand. Mike said that the man said he did not want it. He said it was too heavy to carry around. We were astonished! This man was being offered a fresh meal and cool, refreshing water. Even if he wanted to pour the water over his head, we thought he could use the cold water. We could not explain how this man could be so particular and so denying of a free blessing! Then...I thought more about it and realized I DO THE SAME THING! So often God sends me a blessing and I reply by saying, "I will have a #2," or "No thanks. It's too heavy." A blessing is a BLESSING, and I need to receive it with gratitude! I need to realize that God hands me blessings everyday that I should open my arms to no matter what I prefer (how silly I can be) and BE THANKFUL that he saw me and knows my needs. The neat thing is that, unlike the man Mike tried to help who will not always be offered a blessing, God offers his blessings again and again to me. I am ready to accept ALL of God's blessings now with great joy!

2 comments:

Kerry D. said...

That is a great story! "I'll take a #2" will have new meaning to me!:)

The Prices said...

I shall also now use the phrase, "#2" in my every day life! What a great reminder! It also reminds me of the gift of salvation, God is offering it to all of us and yet some say no, even though their thirst is evident! Love ya!